Kids are fast adopting skateboarding as part of their sporting activities. It is no news that skateboarding has gone past a sport to being a tool for artistic expression. They are just too many advantages that a kid can benefit from skateboarding.
One is the cognitive balancing and mental focus they stand to gain from the sport.
Hence for kids to properly take on the sport, there are few things to carefully consider when trying to pick out the best skateboards for 5 year olds.
These things will be instrumental to the overall safety and skateboarding experience of your five-year-old kid.
Essential benefits of skateboarding for 5 year old
- Kids grow up pretty fast, and at 5 years of years, they are simply ready for new experiences. Skateboarding is one such way for them to learn and develop new skills.Outlined below are some benefits 5 years can derive for the art of skateboarding.
- One of the great ways to impact on a kid is to teach him or her to build confidence in whatever thing they engage in. This is one thing learning how to skateboard does very well.
- The power of self-belief equips them with a strong sense of independence. Kids can learn as early as five, that they can become anything they want to be through patience and hard work.
- Skateboarding is one of the few sports that show that every kid in their way as each kids learning pace vary with one another. It can teach them that failing is part of the order of things, and they should not shy away from trying.
- Five year old kids can learn to develop a great sense of team work with fellow five year old skateboarders. It promotes faster learning and encouragement amongst them.
Top safety skateboard tips for 5 years old
Below are a couple of tips that can be taught effectively to 5 years old kids trying to get into the art of skateboarding.
- Kids need to start practicing skateboarding on grass or carpet as it helps to keep kids safe on the off chance they fall off the board.
- Ensure that your kid’s feet lay entirely on the board as their feet should be near the bolts to help them quickly get on and off from the board.
- Let your kids bend their knees a little to help them lean forward and backward using their toes and heels to move the skateboard.
- You should never let go of the hands of your kids. Hold them tight and move them around as you teach them to move the perfect foot to control the board. Once they feel comfortable, you can then take off your hand.
- Ensure they move the skateboard slowly. The best way to teach a 5 year old kid is to let them move slowly and let them know the importance of moving slowly and the hazard involved in moving fast.
- Get them to watch video on how to go on a skateboard and as well show them chart and images to help them have a smooth learning experience.
Choosing the perfect skateboard for 5 years old
For a 5 year old kid, mini decks are the most suitable. You should get a skateboard that fits a child that wears a shoe between size 4 and 6.
The main emphasis should be placed on the width of the board, as this is where the kid will get the most comfort and stability. Try out different sizes within the range to get the right fit.
Weight of Kid
The body weight and overall size of the five year old kid in question should be taken into consideration. The safety of the kid depends entirely on it.
Always make sure to pick out a big skateboard. It is still good to pick out the highest size within the range of sizes ranges for a large sized kid. It will ensure great comfort for the kid while limiting the possibility of accidents.
Choosing the right deck for kid’s matters a lot. The shape of the deck is essential when picking out skateboards for 5 year old kids.
It will help you achieve optimum speed and smoothness. There are various shapes of deck available to pick from in the market.
There is the radical board which is shaped like a U, the W-concave is built like the letter W, and there is the last but not the least, called the flat concave. The radical board is most suitable for a beginner five year old.
It is one crucial part that needs much attention. The wheels give the skateboard its roll, so it is an absolute no brainer that picking the best wheels available is of the highest essence.
The best wheels available in the market today are somewhere around 55 mm in diameter. These wheels are built strong to give your kid the best stability and skateboarding experience.
Having the right truck will not only guarantee a great skating experience, but it will also ensure your safety. Make sure the size of the truck of the skateboard you are getting is appropriately suited for the skateboard.
One poorly suited truck will either give your kid a clumsy roll or on the other hand, if too small can land your kid in the emergency room if it dislodges while skateboarding. So getting the best truck cannot be overemphasized.
The culture of skateboarding is here and has come to stay. A lot of little kids are growing increasingly frantic about the idea of owning a skateboard. Parents of young kids are therefore advised to encourage their children to take on the sport, as this ensures speedy mental and physical development for these kids.
Skateboard can be a whole lot of fun if those simple checks and balances like the right size, features, and quality are taken into full consideration when picking out the best skateboards for 5 year olds.
These kids are always eager to learn new things, and with the proper safety approach, they could be well on their way to living their young lives a full of adventure, an excellent catalyst for total formative growth.