Best skateboards for 5 year olds – Kids are fast adopting skateboarding as part of their sporting activities. It is no news that skateboarding has gone past a sport to being a tool for artistic expression. They are just too many advantages that a kid can benefit from skateboarding.
One is the cognitive balancing and mental focus they stand to gain from the sport.
Hence for kids to properly take on the sport, there are few things to carefully consider when trying to pick a quality skateboard for 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 and above years old.
Experts Picked Skateboards For 5 Years Old Kids
1. Meketec Skateboards
The Meketec Skateboards is designed with modern technology, and it powers on with the 3.25-inch trucks that come with varieties of colors that will match whatever the skateboarder is wearing for a distinctive look.
It outperforms many skateboards because of the high performing ABEC 7 meketec bearings plus it offers 60mm Urethane wheels, and its dimensions range from 22.5 inch in length and 6 inches in width.
No matter how much weight you have, it is going be met by the Meketec Skateboards as it is able to lift 200lb of weight with ease.
The characteristic look of the Meketec Skateboards makes it stand out in the league of skateboards because it offers great beauty.
This board can be used in the park, school, road, etc. and it serves as a great gift package for kids in the age range of 5. Finally, the board is CE certified, which means it is well built with safety measures for the skateboarders.
- Lightweight and compact designs make it easier to carry for kids.
- Over 27 designs allow you to choose the one your kids love.
- Heavy-duty V-trucks make the structure sturdy and provide extended durability.
- It has 60mm wheels, which is one of the largest in this budget, and offers smooth performance.
- The deck may seem narrow to heavier kids.
2. RIMABLE Complete 22 Inches Skateboard
With the maximum load capacity of 90kgs, there is no way you are getting it wrong when you purchase this for your 5-year-old kid.
The RIMABLE Complete 22 Inches Skateboard is made to be a plastic cruiser, and it is well assembled with a type of quality that is rare which is why it has about 925 positive ratings from customers who have had to use it.
The board is genuinely filled with all types of skating fun, and it has a 22 inches long and 6 inches wide deck surface plus you will be so fascinated by the fresh materials used in manufacturing this board.
In terms of general quality, it is high above the roof, and the same goes for the super solid 3 inches aluminum trucks used in the making of this board.
In addition, the PU wheels are smooth on the legs and come really soft to ride because of the great quality speed bearing design that is promised by the board.
- Smooth and long cruises provide an excellent gliding experience.
- Good quality bearings help the wheels roll smoothly and offer excellent turning.
- You will feel slight resistance while riding, which makes it safe for beginner kids as it will not move too fast, and the chance of accident gets minimized.
- The wheels are smooth and offer excellent riding experiences.
- Easily scratchable.
- Color painting quality could be better.
3. Krown Rookie Skateboard
A board made with Canadian maple construction plus it comes with a unique design that will readily attract buyers to the board.
Also, it is about 7.5 inches wide, and the length goes up to 31.0 inches which makes it genuinely great for skating and performing various skills.
The graphic 52mm wheels are made from Urethane, and it delivers powerful glide and riding with superb balance and flexibility to match your finesse.
In addition, the 5.0 inches aluminum trucks even make it superb as it makes sure the board remains strong in any surface it is used on.
The grip tape is great as it makes the leg stays firm on the board without slipping off, which is a great safety addition to the board.
Also, the design of this board is totally narrow and lightweight, which makes it an easy board to lift while performing varieties of tricks on board.
- The trucks are made of good quality aluminum that makes them pretty strong and durable.
- Black grip tape works excellent to hold the feet with the board and avoid the chance of getting separated from the rider.
- All the components used are pretty sturdy and can absorb bumps; as a result, the skateboard will not break easily.
- Different animal graphics are available, so you can choose the one your kid loves.
- Wheels alignment needs improvement
4. PlayWheels Ultimate Spider-Man 21 Inch Wood Cruiser Skateboard
Looking for a skateboard that is complete in terms of design, measurement, safety, and all-round package, trust me, you will never get it wrong with this board. It ticks all boxes of quality, and it has the famous spider-man superhero painting on it which will readily make the kids get used to the board.
With maximum durability being offered by the board, you can always become creative with your moves while skating as it promises great balance and will lift up to 100lbs of weight.
Additionally, the single kicktail design affords the skateboarder a maximum control with the board, and you can move freely as you so choose.
The PVC injected smooth wheels comes with 50mm x 27mm dimensions plus the nylon bearings makes your movement on the board even better and smoother while you skate on any surface.
Finally, this 9-ply maple deck is strong and comes with a type of sturdiness that is rarely matched by other skateboards.
- Wheels are a bit slow to move, which ensures that your kids have a safe learning experience.
- The board is pretty thick, which enables it to offer decent durability.
- Good quality grip surface to ensure that the skateboarder does not get off the board while skating.
- Rugged build quality ensures that you get a durable performance.
- The quality of wheels is average and needs improvement.
5. Easy Way Complete Skateboards
The Easy_Way Complete Skateboards as the name sounds tells that it is a total package skateboard with all quality infused into this board as it delivers great movement, balance, and trick learning on the go.
The LED lighting that is offered by this board is absolutely stunning as it flashes immediately the wheels begin to rotate, which brings added safety when your little five-year-old child is skating in the dark.
Stability is another top-notch design that gives this board much more positive ratings amongst consumers because they are sure it will not make the trip while skating.
The moment you feel it is time to halt the skateboard after attaining your maximum speed, all you need to do is just put a leg on the floor, and your skateboard will immediately come to a halt with ease.
It is designed with strong PU wheels that come with the ABEC 11 bearings for stability, control, finesse and smooth riding on the board.
- Soft wheels help to have better grip during riding.
- The skateboard comes with a double warped design that allows you to do all the basic skate tricks.
- The deck is waterproof so that you can clean it easily with a wet towel.
- Aluminum alloy trucks enable the skateboard to offer excellent stability.
- Only suitable for beginners and not a good choice for experts.
6. PlayWheels Ultimate Spider-Man 28 Inch Complete Skateboard
Is your 5-year kid a Spiderman fan? Then the PlayWheels Ultimate Spider-Man 28 inches skateboard can be the perfect choice for him.
Above, you can find another spiderman skateboard which is only 21 inches long. That should be enough for most kids, but if your child is taller, then he will need a longer skateboard.
The soft 9-ply maple deck is highly comfortable and durable with a PVC wheel. Moreover, it allows children to weigh up to 110 pounds, enough for any 5-year and older kids.
It also has a 7.5″ composite truck for better control over the skateboard and offering a smooth skating experience. Not only that, the double kicktail design has excellent braking for the safety of the kids while enabling the skateboard to do basic tricks.
This specific model offers excellent safety features, so even if your kid never used a skateboard before, he will be comfortable, and you can be worry-free. Overall it’s a great skateboard for kids to start learning.
- The wheels have a fair amount of resistance to prevent fast speed and avoid accidents.
- The deck is made of high-quality maple wood, which is extremely durable.
- Double kicktail design enables kids to perform beginner-level moves and tricks.
- Due to its lightweight construction, kids can have better control over the skateboard.
- The wheels need improvement.
- The bottom graphic is a sticker and may peel off if left outside.
7. PlayWheels Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 28″ Complete Kids Skateboard
Another amazing skateboard from PlayWheels, especially for kids who love the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. The bottom graphic looks like a pizza which many kids crave. Hence it can be an excellent option to start with.
This is a 28 inches skateboard, the ideal length for every 5-year old. Besides, the width is 7.5 inches, allowing kids to ride and learn all skateboarding tricks comfortably.
PlayWheels Ninja Turtles skateboard has a clear sand spray top grip that helps the feet of the rider to stay in contact with the board while riding. Needless to say, it offers excellent traction to the rider, which allows perform different moves.
The 50mm PVC wheels with 608ZB bearings are capable of offering a smooth riding experience. Whether it is a skate park or the sidewalk, PlayWheels Ninja Turtle Skateboard can perform perfectly fine.
Besides, the carbon steel axles allow kids to weigh up to 110 pounds, which is more than enough for a 5-year old kid. Overall an excellent skateboard you can give to any kid who is learning skateboarding.
- 9-ply maple wood makes the board highly durable and offers a comfortable gliding experience at the same time.
- The skateboard added a decent amount of resistance on wheels to keep the speed to a safer level.
- The price is quite low compared to other 28 inches skateboards.
- It has a double kicktail design, which is perfect for practicing basic skating tricks, including popping, grinding, and kickflips.
- Some units may come with a few minor scratches.
- Plastic wheels may not offer high durability.
8. Retrospec Quip 22.5″ Classic Retro Plastic Cruiser Complete Skateboard
The classic retro design from the ’70s with endless color options makes Retrospec Quip Skateboard an excellent opportunity for 5-year olds. It is not too large, not too small, instead of a perfectly balanced skateboard with a length of 22.5 inches.
Unlike most other skateboards at this budget range, Retrospec Quip includes ABEC-7 high-speed carbon bearings. It is lightweight and offers excellent precision.
Besides, the truck is 5 inches. It allows you to have better control over the skateboard and provides better balance. Watching the size, you may think it is not for heavy kids, but you’re mistaken. This board allows a maximum weight capacity of 220lbs.
The wheels are also pretty soft enough to absorb any bump on the way while giving you a smooth riding experience. Besides, the high-strength injection-molded plastic ensures high durability.
Here Quip used a molded waffle pattern on the top for easy turning and gripping. Hence extra grip tape is not necessary. Overall, an excellent skateboard for kids who want a compact size.
- It comes with 26 color options to ensure that your kid gets his favorite color.
- The small size and lightweight design make it highly portable for any kid.
- High-quality polyurethane-cast wheels enhance comfortability.
- The plastic materials used on the board are pretty tough and offer long durability.
- Plastic wrapping under the screws makes it hard to unpack.
9. Merkapa Complete Skateboard
With a maximum weight capacity of 82kgs, there is no way your 5-year-old would not be able to use this to his or her satisfaction without worries of breaking.
Also, the wheels presented by this skateboard is totally fascinating as it comes with an LED light that powers on when the wheels start to rotate, which makes it very useful when skating in a dark environment.
The LED light from the wheels allows you to easily track your little one when they are practicing their skating skills in the night.
The deck is about 22 inches long, and it comes with a 6-inch wide deck also, and you will be glad to know that the Merkapa 22″ Complete Skateboard is a single kickboard.
You will love the V-truck, and base design that offers a 3.2 inches heavy-duty quality aluminum plus the ABEC 7 bearings goes a long way to making the gliding on this board very smooth.
- While others offer 50mm wheels at this budget, Merkapa comes with 60mm wheels, which makes riding more convenient.
- Colorful Light Up Wheels looks excellent at night and also can be a great source of light on a dark road.
- The bearings feature shock absorption technology that lets the skateboard stay fine after light to medium bumps.
- The skateboard uses high-quality aluminum and plastic to ensure durable performance.
- A thin board may bend under heavy pressure.
10. Geelife Skateboard 7 Layers Decks 31″x8″ Pro Complete Skate Board
With a length of 32 inches and a width of 8 inches, this is a board that specifically answers the question of balance, tricks, finesse, and durability.
The wheels are manufactured to be so strong that it offers the most genuine wheelbase and it highly sleek 55 by 40mm wheels coupled with ABEC 7 bearings are one of the best things you can ask for in a quality skateboard.
It comes with an integrated feet pocket for added safety and balance on the board, and you will like that the board is finished with kick tails for maximization of the Ollie height.
If you are seeking for lightweight performance on deck, this 7-ply skateboard is the one to turn to as it makes it easier for you.
An added advantage is that it can be used on the various surface an even on a rough ground plus it helps to boost your confidence level and stability.
- A high-density emery non-slip grip tape helps kids to keep balance on the board.
- The aluminum alloy trucks make the skateboard stable and offer better turnings.
- The waterproof and anti-slip grip tape ensures that the rider does not slip or fall while riding.
- A wide range of design options allows you to pick your favorite one.
- The metal is not capable of handling heavy bumps.
11. PlayWheels Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 21″ Wood Cruiser Skateboard
PlayWheels Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles skateboard with 21 inches in length and 6 inches in width can be an excellent choice for 5-year olds. Especially if the kid loves Ninja Turtles, then it is one of the best options.
This one is made of maple wood with 9-ply on the deck. Hence, you can expect excellent durability. Besides, the 50mm PVC wheels add smoothness to the ride. 50mm should be enough for most people considering the length of the deck. But if you want to upgrade, you can do that too.
PlayWheels Ninja Turtles wood cruiser skateboard allows a weight of up to 100 pounds. It can be a perfect choice to start with for kids aging from 5 to 10.
Besides, the more colorful and futuristic graphics look stunning. Any Ninja Turtles fan’s kids would love it. Overall, it can be the best skateboard for 5-year olds you may present.
- Decent resistance and enough space to keep feet comfortably with grip tape make it excellent for beginner kids who are learning to use a skateboard.
- The steel axle system enables the skateboard to carry a heavyweight and also offers decent speed.
- A high-quality grip surface assists the rider in keeping feet connected with the board.
- Nylon bearings ensure a smooth riding experience.
- The Ninja Turtles graphic may peel off sooner than later.
12. PlayWheels Ultimate Spider-Man 21″ Wood Cruiser Skateboard
If your kid is not a Teenage Mutant fan, then he may love spiderman. The good thing is that PlayWheels also offers wood cruiser skateboards for spiderman fans. This is again made of high-quality maple wood to ensure a good life.
It weighs only 2.25 pounds and should not be a problem for kids to carry. Besides, the 21 inches length and 6 inches width offers an excellent balanced size. You will also get 50mmx27mm wheels, which you can upgrade if you want.
It also has a 7.5 inches composite truck that enables your kid to have better control over the skateboard. It also allows kids to weigh up to 100lbs. That’s more than enough for a 5-year old kid.
The wheels will be a little hard to move to slow down your kid for safety. But if the kid has learned how to skateboard and is confident enough, you can add a little grease on the wheel to make it faster.
- Single kicktail design enables easy braking, which helps kids stop when necessary or feel unsafe.
- The skateboard is very lightweight and compact, which allows kids to carry it on their backpacks easily.
- It has a 9-ply maple wood deck that offers excellent durability.
- The composite trucks are pretty large and have good quality wheels that make the riding experience very smooth.
- A double kicktail design would have been better.
- Unwrapping is troubling as the plastic wrapping is underneath the screws.
13 PlayWheels Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 28″ Skateboard
The last skateboard on the list is from PlayWheels with a 28 inches long deck. Then the deck width is 7.5 inches. Hence, the size will fit most kid’s needs. The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles design on this skateboard looks so good everyone will fall in love with it.
This one helps kids learn skateboarding and allows them to do basic tricks and moves. It has a double kicktail design with 50mm wheels and 608ZB bearings that gives it such abilities. These components also ensure a smooth riding experience.
PlayWheels 28 inches skateboard can carry weight up to 110lbs. Usually, when a 5-year old purchases a skateboard, it means he is learning. This model has been made in that way and helps kids learn to balance on the skateboard.
- The clear sand spray helps to have a better grip and enables the feet to stay in contact with the deck.
- It has excellent traction to perform basic tricks like popping, grinding, and kickflips.
- The skateboard also has an easy braking system to avoid accidents while learning.
- All the components and materials used in the construction of this skateboard are pretty tough and offer excellent durability.
- The graphic may peel off in harsh conditions.
Essential Benefits of Skateboarding for a 5 Year Old
- Kids grow up pretty fast, and at 5 years of years, they are simply ready for new experiences. Skateboarding is one such way for them to learn and develop new skills. Outlined below are some benefits 5 years can derive for the art of skateboarding.
- One of the great ways to impact a kid is to teach him or her to build confidence in whatever thing they engage in. This is one thing learning how to skateboard does very well.
- The power of self-belief equips them with a strong sense of independence. Kids can learn as early as five, that they can become anything they want to be through patience and hard work.
- Skateboarding is one of the few sports that show that every kid in their way as each kid’s learning pace vary with one another. It can teach them that failing is part of the order of things, and they should not shy away from trying.
- Five-year-old kids can learn to develop a great sense of teamwork with fellow five-year-old skateboarders. It promotes faster learning and encouragement amongst them.
Top Safety Skateboard Tips for 5 Years Old
Precautions: Make your kids wear skateboard safety equipment to avoid any unwanted situations.
Below are a couple of tips that can be taught effectively to 5 years old kids trying to get into the art of skateboarding.
- Kids need to start practicing skateboarding on grass or carpet as it helps to keep kids safe on the off chance they fall off the board.
- Ensure that your kid’s feet lay entirely on the board as their feet should be near the bolts to help them quickly get on and off from the board.
- Let your kids bend their knees a little to help them lean forward and backward using their toes and heels to move the skateboard.
- You should never let go of the hands of your kids. Hold them tight and move them around as you teach them to move the perfect foot to control the board. Once they feel comfortable, you can then take off your hand.
- Ensure they move the skateboard slowly. The best way to teach a 5-year-old kid is to let them move slowly and let them know the importance of moving slowly and the hazard involved in moving fast.
- Get them to watch videos on how to go on a skateboard and as well show them charts and images to help them have a smooth learning experience.
Choosing the Perfect Skateboard for 5 Years Old
For a 5-year-old kid, mini decks are the most suitable. You should get a skateboard that fits a child that wears a shoe between size 4 and 6.
The main emphasis should be placed on the width of the board, as this is where the kid will get the most comfort and stability. Try out different sizes within the range to get the right fit.
Weight of Kid
The body weight and overall size of the five-year-old kid in question should be taken into consideration. The safety of the kid depends entirely on it.
Always make sure to pick out a big skateboard. It is still good to pick out the highest size within the range of sizes ranges for a large-sized kid. It will ensure great comfort for the kid while limiting the possibility of accidents.
Choosing the right deck for kids matters a lot. The shape of the deck is essential when picking out skateboards for 5-year-old kids.
It will help you achieve optimum speed and smoothness. There are various shapes of deck available to pick from in the market.
There is the radical board that is shaped like a U, the W-concave is built like the letter W, and there is the last but not the least, called the flat-concave. The radical board is most suitable for a beginner five-year-old.
It is one crucial part that needs much attention. The wheels give the skateboard its roll, so it is an absolute no brainer that picking the best wheels available is of the highest essence.
The best wheels available in the market today are somewhere around 55 mm in diameter. These wheels are built strong to give your kid the best stability and skateboarding experience.
Having the right truck will not only guarantee a great skating experience, but it will also ensure your safety. Make sure the size of the truck of the skateboard you are getting is appropriately suited for the skateboard.
One poorly suited truck will either give your kid a clumsy roll or on the other hand, if too small can land your kid in the emergency room if it dislodges while skateboarding. So getting the best truck cannot be overemphasized.
Can a 5 year old ride a skateboard?
Yes, a 5-year-old can ride a skateboard. Many professionals have started skateboarding around the age of 5.
However, even a 3-year-old can also ride a skateboard if they are fit. Due to the risk associated with skateboarding, people usually recommend starting at 5 or above. To minimize the risk, ensure your kids wear safe skateboarding gear.
What size skateboard should I get for a 5 year old?
A skateboard of 22 inches in length and 6 inches in width can be a perfect size for 5 years old to start. These are usually lightweight and compact, which makes them easier for kids to carry. If the kid is slightly taller or heavier, then maybe 27 inches length and 7 inches width will be a better choice.
What age is a 22-inch skateboard for?
A 22-inch skateboard is perfect for anyone in the age range of 5 years to 10 years. These are great for learning how to balance on a skateboard. Older than that may also try only if the board is sturdy enough. But for anyone above 10, the least recommended size is 28 inches.
What’s the best age to start skateboarding?
There is no universal rule at what age you can start skateboarding. Even if you are 20 or 30, there is no problem if you want fun. However, many recommend that the best age to start skateboarding is 5. Younger than that may find it tough to hold the balance on the board.
How do I teach my 5 year old to skateboard?
Teaching a 5-year-old to skateboard can be challenging. In the beginning, practice on a carpet, so that the wheels never slip and the kid knows how to stand with balance.
Then let him walk a little bit and always stay with him to protect him from falling. Proceed slowly from the basics, and he will learn as he practices more and more.
The culture of skateboarding is here and has come to stay. A lot of little kids are growing increasingly frantic about the idea of owning a skateboard. Parents of young kids are therefore advised to encourage their children to take on the sport, as this ensures speedy mental and physical development for these kids.
Skateboard can be a whole lot of fun if those simple checks and balances like the right size, features, and quality are taken into full consideration when picking out the best skateboards for 5 year olds.
These kids are always eager to learn new things, and with the proper safety approach, they could be well on their way to living their young lives full of adventure, an excellent catalyst for total formative growth.