Are you trying to introduce your six years old kids to skateboarding? Finding the best skateboard for 6 year old kids can be challenging considering the fact that there are very few quality products out there designed specifically for children of that age.
In this post today, I will show you how to identify the right skateboards for kids of 6 years that will significantly help them to master skateboarding. Keep reading!
Before showing you how to choose the right boards for your child, let me give an answer to the question that is always on the lips of every parent when it comes to skateboarding.
Are skateboards safe for 6 year old kids?
Most parents who desire to introduce their kids to skateboarding are often concerned with how safe it is for them.
This is understandable as no parent would want anything capable of hurting his or her child to come close to them.
And based on their nature, children can play so roughly they end up coming back home with a bruised or broken limb. We do see this happen almost in every sport, including skateboarding.
However, the truth is that at 6 years old, your child has already reached the minimum recommended age for skateboarding.
Instead of worrying yourself much about whether it is right for your child to start skateboarding at that age or not, consider focusing more on how to train him/her to do it rightly and as well as finding the perfect board for your kids.
The video sharing platform, Youtube is filled with several inspiring videos of 5 to 6 year old kids skateboarding like professionals.
At that age, it is often easier for kids to learn and master how to skate than at adulthood. So yes, skating is a very safe activity for kids of 6 years.
Best skateboard for 6 year old beginner – Experts picked products
Benefits of Skateboarding For 6 Year Olds
Like every other exercise out there, skateboarding has lots of benefits for both children and adults. I have made a list of some of these benefits your 6-year-old kid can get from it below.
- As an outdoor activity, it enables your child to meet and make new friends with children of his age group living in the same area.
- It helps your child grow in his ability to think fast and know what he ought to do at every given time even as he matures.
- It helps build up the child’s muscles, improves coordination and balance.
- It has been widely proven that children who frequently participate in exercises are always happier, easy going, and healthier. So allowing your child to skate with his friends is not a bad idea.
If you are still worried about the safety of your child after seeing all these benefits of skateboarding to him, consider following these safety measures when teaching him how to skate.
Skateboarding Safety Measures for 6 Year Olds
- Has your child put on protective wears? This includes the helmet, arm, and knee bands always when skating.
- Do not force a child to learn or attempt a skill against his or her wish. If your child is reluctant about learning a particular skill, gently teach him to do it or leave it till another time entirely.
- Let the child learn how to use his hands to keep his head, chest, and other vital body parts from hitting the ground during a fall.
- Regularly check on the equipment to make sure they are in perfect working condition before he goes out to practice with them.
- Do not let your child go for skating without supervision on a very busy road.
Choosing the Right Skateboard For 6 Year Old
Getting the right boards for your child is a must if you have decided to teach him or allow him to learn how to skate with his friends.
Picking just anything sold out there is not only unsafe for your child, but it can also affect how much of skateboarding (skills and everything) he learns and the rate at which he learns it.
If you intend getting the perfect board for your child, here are a few things to seriously put in mind before buying one.
- Smaller Wheels
Based on their age, it is recommended you get boards with smaller wheels (from 50mm down) for your six years old. With time you can then get them the ones with the bigger and harder wheels.
This will enable them to learn how to perfectly stand on the boards and do simple small tricks that wouldn’t put them in any form of danger.
- Lower Decks
While adults can skate on any deck, children will require 6 to 6.75 inches long decks to master skateboarding very well at such a tender age.
- Real Sticky Grip Tape
Equipping their boards with a very sticky tape will help them to position themselves on their board well comfortably.
So when buying a board for your 6 year old, ensure the grip tape is very sticky. Check it out very well before buying and bringing the board home to your kid. That way, they can stand comfortably on the board and perform any skateboarding tricks they would like to.
- Wide Trucks
It is often recommended to get your kids boards that have wide trucks on them when they are still learning how to skate. In case you are wondering how wide enough the truck needs to be, I mean just a little bit wider than the deck.
It is not always advisable to get the boards that fit precisely with the deck until they have improved or mastered how to stand on their boards. That way, you can help them minimize falling now and then while practicing.
Finding the best skateboard for 6 year old can be a whole lot of work itself. You will have to carefully select the one that will not only be best for him in terms of skating but will also help keep him safe while he is on it.
If you follow the guidelines I have put down in this post carefully, you will be able to select the right board your child will love and be able to use in practicing any time he/she desires to.