For kids, learning to skate should be one that should be on the top priority list. The reason for this is because, kids grow up very fast, and they adapt quickly to whatever sport or skill set they get introduced to early enough in life.
And the advantages that come with the art of skating are too numerous to overlook for the all-round development of any kind.
Nevertheless, there is the occasion of fear that creeps up for many parents, since skateboarding is recognized as a type of extreme sport.
But this should not necessarily be, for if the right safety precautions, features, and quality of a skateboard are taken into full consideration when trying of pick out the best skateboard for 10 year old, they can go on to have a fun-filled skating experience.
Benefits of Skateboarding For 10 Year Old Kids
For the most part, kids stand the greatest chance of benefitting the most from many upsides that come with the sport. We will be touching on a few of these benefits that kids can take advantage of in a few.
- Most times, kids are preoccupied with school work that they barely have the time to engage in other extra-curricular activities that build them in ways that the typical classroom cannot.
One way skateboarding makes up for this is building in kids culture of self-belief.
- The power of self-belief emboldens in a child the spirit of persistence, the ability to push even in the face of challenges and adversity.
- Self believes also teaches kids that true sheer hard work and commitment; they can conquer their worst fears and become what they aspire to be only if they are patient and consistent enough.
- Skateboarding also instills a certain level of independence within kids and shows that every child is individually unique.
- Failing is part of learning, and kids get their first lessons in this department, which helps them embrace failure faster as part of every learning process.
- Lastly, skateboarding breeds a sense of togetherness amongst their kids participating in the sport.
Top Safety Skateboarding Tips for 10 Year Old Kids
- One thing that must be ensured before any kid mounts a skateboard is his/her safety gears. They must be fully decked with complete safety attire. This includes a top quality helmet, a wrist guard, and good elbow and knee pads.
- They should be made to feel comfortable first before they even attempt to skate. One way to achieve this is to do a small test on a rather friendly surface like a field of soft grass.
- They should be taught good feet placement. This will helps them to properly balance the front and back wheels of the skateboard.
- When they have balanced properly, a skating style can then be adopted. Typically there are three skating stances that a beginner kid can pick from.
The first is regular, where the left foot is placed forward. The second stance is called goofy. With this style, the right foot is instead placed forward in place of the left.
The last but not least is the mongo style which lets the rider push his/her forward using the back foot.
- Kids should be refrained from trying any tricks at the learning stage to avoid fatal accidents
- When starting in the world of skating, kids should be advised to practice only on the soft friendly surface like grass or a carpet, especially for the first few days of learning
- They should learn how to power-start to maintain a speedy roll for a good amount of time before needing to push again.
- They should also be taught how to turn to both the left and right direction.
- Lastly, they will have to learn how to stop the skateboard. The safest way to do this is a method called foot braking.
This involves the rider gradually taking his/her foot off the board and gently gliding it on the ground to bring the skateboard to a gradual halt.
Choosing the Best Skateboard for 10 Year Old
They are quite a several things you should consider before picking out the best skateboard for your 10 year old kid.
One is the size and body weight of the kid in question. The overall safety of your is also of great importance. Listed below are a couple of such features to look out for in a skateboard.
The standard size recommended for a 10 year old who naturally should fall within the height range of between 4’5 to 5’2 should be anywhere between 7 to 8 inches in width, while the length should be between 27 to 31 inches.
The main emphasis should be placed on the width because this is what gives the kid the right comfort and stability. Try out different sizes within the range to get the right fit.
Weight of Kid
The size and body weight of the kid in question should be thoroughly considered as the overall safety of the kid is dependent on that.
Always pick a very strong skateboard, and go for the highest size within the size ranges for a big sized kid.
By doing so, you will ensure the best comfort for the kid while ensuring his safety from accidents that can occur.
The shape of the deck matters a lot when picking out skateboards for kids if you hope to achieve the best movement and speed.
There are different shapes of deck available in the market today. There is the radical board, the W-concave, and the flat concave.
There radical and W-concave are both U and W-shaped, respectively. The radical board is most suitable for a beginner level.
You should inspect the trucks of any skateboard you wish to purchase. Good trucks will give you the best experience as well as ensure your maximum safety.
Always make sure the size of your truck is the same as your skateboard. A badly suited truck can either slow down if it is too wide or be outright dangerous if it is too small. So you should always choose something moderate.
The wheels are of course, what gives the skateboard its roll. So being careful about its quality should be a no brainer.
Usually the best wheels in the market today are about 55 mm in diameter, built tough for the stability and the best skating experience of the rider.
Skateboarding is one sport that kids across the board are growing increasingly frantic over.
We have seen that aside from the obvious fun they derive from the sport, there is also the cardinal growth and development potential that kids can benefit from it. Parents should be advised to inculcate the sports into their kids’ activities for their overall mental and physical growth.
If the right safety approaches are carefully followed when picking out the best skateboard for 10 year old, these young kids will be ensured a safe and enjoyable skating experience full of excitement, vitality, and purpose.