Best complete skateboards for beginners – Things you need to know to make the right call.
Skateboarding is a form of extreme sport that is being taken on by more and more people. It has gone from a sport commonly that used to associated with rebels and outlaws, to one that is receiving wide mainstream acceptance.
There are many benefits one can get from the sport. One is its exertive power on your overall physical and mental wellbeing – just what you need to shake off the hinges every now and again.
Thus, this post will be tailored towards people trying to get the best complete skateboards for beginners trying to get into the world of skateboarding.
- 1 Why You Should Consider Skateboards Over Longboards For Beginners
- 2 Perfect skateboard for beginners – Expert picked products
- 2.1 1. SkateXS Beginner Unicorn Girls Skateboard
- 2.2 2. SkateXS Personalized Beginner Pirate Street Skateboard
- 2.3 3. elos Skateboard
- 2.4 4. Skitch Premium Skateboard
- 2.5 5. Coolstep Pro Skateboard
- 2.6 6. WiiSHAM Skateboards Pro
- 2.7 7. Magneto Mini Cruiser Skateboard
- 2.8 8. Penny Graphic Complete Skateboard
- 2.9 9. M Merkapa Pro Complete Skateboard
- 2.10 10. Eggboards Mini Longboard Cruiser Skateboards
- 3 6 Skateboarding Tips For Beginner
- 4 Choosing The Right Skateboard For Starters
- 5 Conclusion
Why You Should Consider Skateboards Over Longboards For Beginners
When starting in the sport, you are at an absolute level of ground zero. Hence your main focus at this stage will be first to master the basics like proper feet placement, weight balancing, power rolling, learning to swerve in both directions and eventually learning how to bring the skateboard to a stop.
At a beginner level, the right skateboard is just what you need.
Longboards are designed primarily for long distance skating or commuting. Since you are at a beginner level, you have no business with long distance skating since you are only just starting.
Longboards are not built for learning as they are not easily maneuverable, and could be quite cumbersome for learners.
At a beginner level, you should go for cruiser skateboards instead, which are a balance between a long and shortboard. They usually come in different forms and shapes and are more lightweight and portable.
Perfect skateboard for beginners – Expert picked products
1. SkateXS Beginner Unicorn Girls Skateboard
2. SkateXS Personalized Beginner Pirate Street Skateboard
3. elos Skateboard
4. Skitch Premium Skateboard
5. Coolstep Pro Skateboard
6. WiiSHAM Skateboards Pro
7. Magneto Mini Cruiser Skateboard
8. Penny Graphic Complete Skateboard
9. M Merkapa Pro Complete Skateboard
10. Eggboards Mini Longboard Cruiser Skateboards
6 Skateboarding Tips For Beginner
- The very first thing to always have in place before going skating are your safety gears. This includes a good quality helmet, proper wrist guard, and a well-suited elbow and knee pads.
- Always make sure you are most comfortable before you try rolling off. Learn how to evenly distribute your weight across the board, as well as proper feet balancing.
- Before you set off on hard concrete, do a test run on a solid surface such as a field with soft grass.
- After you might have a got the hang of it, you have to choose a skating style. There are typically three popular skating gaits you can assume before you roll off. One is the regular stance, where the left foot is placed forward.The second is the goofy, where the right foot is placed instead placed ahead. There is the last style called the mongo, which is not always recommended for beginners. In this style, the rider pushes forward using only the back foot.
- On your first few tryouts, always skate on flat surfaces. Avoid trying any stunts at this stage until you mastered the basics. You will learn how to power roll. This means push hard backward as forcefully as you can to give you acceleration. Also, you will need to learn how to swerve in both the left and right directions.
- Lastly, you will have to learn how to stop the skateboard. The best way to achieve is a method called foot braking which involves taking your back foot slightly off the board and touching it onto the ground to slow down speed before eventually bringing the skateboard to a halt.
Choosing The Right Skateboard For Starters
The standard size recommended for a beginner should be anywhere between 7.5 to 8.5 inches in width. The length can fall anywhere between 27 to 32 inches.
The primary focus should on the width of the board because this lets you have the best stability and riding comfort.
You should test out the different lengths and widths available in the skating shop to see what suits you before picking out the best option.
Shape Of The Deck
The deck of your board matter a whole lot. You will need to have the best feet placement and be able to maneuver in different directions.
Having the best deck will also let you manage to swerve and speed. There are different types of decks in the market today.
There is the Radical that is shaped like the letter U. The W-concave is another type of deck which is shaped like the letter W.
There is a flat concave, which possesses sharp wheels. Always try to pick out the best option that will give you the ideal performance.
You need the check out the trucks of the skateboard you are trying to purchase. A great truck will give you the best skating experience.
Also, try and make sure you get the same size of the truck as your skateboard. A poorly suited truck can be dangerous for the rider and can lead to severe accidents if it dislodges.
A lot more focus needs to be placed on the wheelbase. An ideal pick for a skateboard wheel should be anywhere around 55 mm in diameter and should be built tough to withstand pressure.
A right wheelbase will give you stability and provide you with the best skating experience.
The Wheel Durometer
Durometer is a process by which the hardness of the skateboard wheel can be measured. Most manufacturers utilize the A Scale standard measuring system; which is a 100-point scale that measures how hard a wheel is.
Usually, the higher the point scale is, the harder the bike is expected to be.
There are also different scaling systems available like the B Scale, which measures 20 points less than that of the A Scale. The B scale is also a sound scaling system for skating wheels.
We can see above that skateboarding can be a ton of fun, if the right features, quality checks, riding etiquettes, and best safety approach are all taken into rapt consideration when picking out the best complete skateboards for beginners.
First timers need not be scared if they make mistakes at tryouts. Failure is perfectly normal and is part of the learning process. With patience, dedication, and consistency, learners can go on to partake in a culture filled with so much spur and vigor, which is all the more magnificent for their overall wellbeing.