Skateboarding is a ride of balancing, workout, easy traveling, and more than fun. Well, the skateboard is the element to understand before you can learn the tricks and techniques of a skating ride!
Generally, we see the small size skateboard with wheels, deck, and trucks including on it! Only that’s not all. There are about parts on the skateboard. It’s so easy to carry for the low weight structure!
Before you may find your expected skateboard or building one, the parts’ functions and uses will help you learn better. So, wait for what? Let’s find the parts with significant uses throughout the article.
Here, we’re trying to highlight every single part of the skateboard function and use it to get a clear concept about it! Hopefully, it will works!
A Guide to Different Parts of a Skateboard:
The deck is the part which the rider used for standing and mounted the skateboard with feet.
Basically, the deck is the only reason for keep control and balancing the ride properly throughout the journey.
The deck is coming out of different sizes, shapes, and designs. Many of the deck is made of wood. But, decks are also made of maple, plastic, and bamboo. Normally, seven layers of maple wood are interlaid with water-based glue or resin at a high pressure to construct a better deck.
The deck board is divide into 3parts; the nose(front), the tail (rear), the wheelbase( between the trucks).
Here, one thing to note is that skateboard decks have subtle differences in distinguishing between front and tail.
Skateboards are normally 28-33 inches long. If it comes to the deck’s shape, then there’s a good demand for street skating, bowl, vert, and cruising skateboard deck.
Skateboards also have concave, which refers to the longitudinal curvature of the deck. Hence, there are also have differences for the curvatures as the high, medium, low- three types of skateboard curve are required.
As a beginner, if you’re confused about how the length or width of skateboard to choose?! Here, some short tips for you.
- Choose a skateboard that’s slightly narrower than the length of your feet.
Note: If you’re choosing a narrow deck, it responsive and slips easily. Besides, choosing a wide board is difficult to maneuver.
- Choose a medium curve deck.
Note: This for if you’re not about to choose what is good! So, in this situation, the medium concave is preferable as this provides you the compromising ride between high and low concave.
- Choose the exact length and width of the skateboard; the shoe size, body height, or weight are good indicators. You can try the different lengths or widths to make a comfortable deck choice.
Getting the next parts of a skateboard will completely say how your skateboards will ride, track, and keep balance. None other than the skateboard wheels.
The four wheels of the skateboard are mainly made of polyurethane and measure by their hardness measured in a durometer. Now, the different sizes or types will exactly depend on your skating skill. So, let’s find the adjustable wheel for your suitable skating ride.
The skating ride such as street skating, bowls, and skateparks are definitely required the hard wheel. The diameter of the hard wheel is 50-60mm, and the durometer is about 95-101a. The hard wheel provides lightweight, faster speed on a smooth surface, power slide, easy flip, and other tricks.
Then, the soft or cruiser wheels roll smoother and usually come to a bigger size. It’s so much softer wheel, provide a fast and steadier shot. Its diameter is 54-60mm, and the durometer is 78-90a.
The other one is the longboard wheel which is softer and bigger than the two others. It’s a good choice and suitable for rough surfaces.
Keeping a good grip on the corner, curving and cruising to sliding and downhill racing. The diameter of the longboard wheel is 60-75mm, and the durometer is 75-85a.
- Choose a small size, low weight, narrow wheels are suitable for street riding and technical skill.
- Choose a bigger size; a heavyweight, the wider wheel provides a speed ride and good grip on a rough surface. It’s suitable for bowl and transportation skills.
- If you’re a beginner, then choose a wheel of middle size ( 52-54mm) and middle durometer (0-99a)
3. Skateboard Bearings:
To keeping a good grip with rolling smoothly, the two bearings are equipped with each of the wheels. It helps to wheel spin with less friction and greater speed.
The bearing is mainly made of steel, titanium, ceramic. Though ceramic is relatively expensive, but steel is most commonly used in wheel.
The outer ring, inner ring, ball cages, ball- these are the parts of a bearing that is the reason for turning the wheel. The rings are also covered with a shield which prevents being dirtiness of wheels.
- ABEC rating is not exactly set the bearings rate system. Some brands directly apply it, and others are denying it.
- Choose a higher quality bearing with sturdier construction, less friction, and a higher ABEC rating.
4. Grip Tape
Grip tape is adhesive-backed sandpaper that is stuck on the surface of a deck. The grip tape is used to remain feet stable and keep balancing the ride. Many designs or manufacturer design grip table with the guaranteed comfortable zone. You can pick up one as your choice.
Skateboard trucks are the middle junction of a wheel and deck; that’s why the skateboard’s turning mounting on the axle. It’s one of the complicated functioning parts of a skateboard.
A base plate, hanger, kingpin, kingpin nut, bushing, and washers- are the components that attach to the truck.
- The baseplate is a base layer or a truck’s foundation that helo to mounting with 4 bolts.
- Kingpin is the connector that connects the baseplate to the hanger.
- Hanger is the area of the truck on which one can grind. Simply its helps to join the baseplate, kingpin, and busing.
- The bushing is the reason for moving or turning the side of the board
- The axle is the visible component on which the wheel and bearings are mounted.
- A washer is placed on the above and below of the busing. It ensures the forces acting on the board are evenly distributed
- Choosing a truck with the measurement of an axle width is exactly the same as the deck’s width.
- As a beginner, mid truck (50-53 mm) is a good choice, so if you haven’t come to a decision, it’s a better choice to have.
Just think once! Get your skateboard to loosen completely due to vibration or tension. Maybe you don’t want to take the risk!
Hence, that’s why the hardware or simply nut- bolts are the important part of a skateboard. To pick up the best hardware is above you. But, nowadays, Allen bolts are very popular over Philips.
- Only countersank bolts are suitable for skateboards. Never choose the raise head bolts.
- Using a skateboard with a ⅛” height of shock or riser paid requires the 1-1 ⅛” long bolts.
- Without a shock or riser paid, you just need ⅞” – 1″ bolts.
7. Riser & shock pads
Whether the riser & shock pads are seen the same, but their purpose is completely different.
Riser pads are made of hard plastic. It actually helps to increase the height of a board to prevent wheel bite.
In contrast, shock pads are designed to absorb shock and make a smooth ride. It’s made of rubber or dense foam.
Frequently Asked Question: Anatomy of a Skateboard
Question 1: Is 7.75 a good skateboard size?
Actually, it’s considered that the 7.75 is a good skateboard size. Easy riding, wide enough, apply tricks comfortably with the uses is the reason behind it.
Question 2: Are longboards better for beginners?
Both longboards and skateboards are better for beginners. But, comparatively, the softer, cruising, and more stable to ride. Its softer wheels also provide more stability. So, of course, longboards are better for beginners.
Question 3: What are the 3 types of skateboards?
Longboard, cruiser, and carve skateboards- these are the three types of the skateboard. Also, a mini-cruiser is another type of skateboard.
Question 4: What’s a popsicle deck?
Nowadays, popsicle decks are in great demand. Its standard, modern design is ideal for street or transition skateboarding. Here, it consists of a symmetrical popsicle stick shape with a concave nose and tails that help perform tricks.
Question 5: How long does a skateboard deck last?
If a skateboard deck lasts longer or not depends on your riding style, skill, or use period. Now, it can look like you’re using a deck just once or twice in a week or even not in every month you’ve used it.
So, it never is said exact duration or deadline. Naturally, the number is 2weeks and 6months is required, although this only depends on you.
Skateboarding is a sport of enjoying, experience, and get yourself to another level. With a safety precaution and the understanding, every part of a skateboard is a key to learn tricks and techniques as a beginner better. So, don’t get too hurry! Enjoy the learning and be a skilled skate rider.